Sunday 21 June 2009

Chatting in the street

 

Living somewhere like the Isle of Lewis with its one town, a local cannot walk the streets of Stornoway without meeting people they know. It's a lovely friendly atmosphere and what I especially love about it is how hospitable it is to off-comers. There is none of that 'Let's-speak-Gaelic-to-exclude-the-Englishman' feeling that you can get in parts of Wales. Never, in all my visits to Lewis have I felt at any stage that I was anything but welcome.

If you like seas and skies and nature and you ever get the chance, this is one part of the British Isles that definitely deserves a visit.

1 comment:

  1. HELLO JOHN. YES! I AM BACK ON LINE AT LAST!

    Just loved the above blog. Have really missed them and I have just one thing to add -

    David and I came, we saw and the island conquered.
    Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter - wouldn't want to live any place else. xx

    ReplyDelete

Welcome - comments are nearly always appreciated (the exception being those that simply advertise which don't make it past my moderation so please, don't bother).